Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Thu Jun 19 18:43:42 CDT 1997

Allan Curry writes:

It seems most religions base themselves on some kind of scripture which
gives valid epistemological status to "things that are not perceived
or inferred" in any other way. Most religions feel quite certain that their
scripture is correct and the other fellow's scripture is "make believe".
I had hoped Advaita Vedanta could establish its truth independently of
Sruti (if that means scripture) and perhaps it can although it seems
a little doubtful to me at this point.

Allan, to steal what I believe is a Zen phrase, "do not mistake the finger
pointing at the moon for the moon itself".
Advaita Vedanta, unlike religions, does not state that one must believe in
the Scriptures for salvation.

Instead, it implores its students to search within for the answer of their
own existence. All the scriptures can do is provide insights into the
journey of others who have preceded us.

I am reminded of Nietzsche's comment, "fine feelings are not arguments".
I myself have experienced non-dual awareness in waking and sleep states
countless times over a period of several years and it is not clear to me
why this "state" should be interpreted to be more ontologically basic than
any other. It does seem profoundly peaceful, joyously complete, and
perfectly simple, but so what? Why should I assume it is the ontological
foundation of the universe rather than a very enjoyable mode of brain
function?  It may be either I suppose or even some other possibility.

My question to you would be: who is it who experienced this "state"?

Regards,

Cameron Reilly