Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Allan Curry un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Thu Jun 19 18:47:47 CDT 1997

Vidyasankar writes:

>> When Sankara was asked how he knew he was Brahman he replied,
>> "because my guru said I was". How lucky he was to have recourse to such
>> a simple ending of doubt!
>>

>Once (and only once) Sankara also refers to a personal experience which no
>one can doubt.

A great Zen master (Bankei) doubted his own enlightenment for years because
he could not find anyone enlightened enough to verify it. He toured Japan
for decades saying that he wanted to spare anyone else a similar discomfort.
The record of his teaching is delightful and highly recommended. It has
the ring of truth for sure... (IMO)    (and does not contradict anything
important in Advaita Vedanta either... :-)

best to all,

Allan Curry