Cloning

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Sun Mar 9 12:48:10 CST 1997

Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> I fully agree with comments made by Shri Vidyasankar on the topic of
> cloning, particularly his comments re "progress".
>
> As its implication to karma, if a person is "willing" to be cloned, I
> think the person has a long way to go to recognizing to what he/she really
> is. It does not matter whether the cloning is for spare parts, for seeing
> an image of oneself for pure ego-gratification, or for pure "enjoyment" of
> the individual, in my view, it implies only one thing: "That person's
> misery is not over and it is destined that it continue for a long time to
> come.  Not only that, the person thinks he/she is doing something. He/she
> is not doing anything. Whether the re-production is by cloning, or by
> standard sexual impregnation, or by taking life of an insect or a tree or
> an animal (or a human) in later form, it makes very little difference. By
> opting for the cloning, the individual is agreeing for further misery in
> this life itself.

Consider the case where I have a book or an article and somebody wants to
copy it. Do I debate with that person why he or she wants to copy or what
they are going to do with that copy? Does my lending it out mean that I am
agreeing for further misery? What the other person does with the copy (makes
further copies, worships it, burns it ...etc) is absolutely of no concern to
me. I may not even care to identify with my book (but that is another issue
altogether :-)). I fail to see how there can be any attachment to the copy,
which rules out any karmic consequences.

regards,
Srinivas Sista.