The GK, mANDUkya controversy and some other stuff

Mon Mar 17 02:06:17 CST 1997

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Giri wrote:

> Shankara is very careful in attributions (imho). For example, in the adhyatma
> patala I recently posted, He says that certain verses are most likely from
> the upanishhad.s (Shruti) which have been lost, but in his commentary
> mentions that we should accord only Smriti status to them since we are
> unsure about the source.

A very sensible view straight out of the Mimamsa shastra.

>         Further, in the list I have, brahma and garbha upanishhad-s are
> from the kR^ishhNa yajur veda.

A reasonable explanation of this is that at least some of the minor
upanishads were later compositions and were arbitrarily assigned to Vedas
later on.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \