Code of Conduct!!!

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Fri May 16 12:20:14 CDT 1997

VP Nandakumar  wrote:

>give out their opinion in a polite and mature manner without getting >personal.
>But making personal and rude comments would only serve to mar the spirit of
 >our
>discussions and not be towards the interest of the list.

In case it was my reply which prompted this post I'd like to make some
things clear:

1. Stating something directly is not being rude (not in my book at any
rate). The problem with the elecronic media is that facial expressions
cannot be conveyed and this may make statements look rude even when they
are not.

2. Even being rude is better than making comments like "Excellent post
Charles " and then go back to square one with no logic whatsoever. When
the fallacies in some statements are pointed out, there should be an
effort to address these comments. Merely congratulating the poster and
stating the same original stuff ad-nauseam (with no logical reasoning)
may look very polite. However this is mistaking form for substance and I
have no interest in any such thing.

3. My example about Idi Amin etc was not to put down Cameron, but merely
to illustrate that anyone who does not follow a logical reasoning can
resort to this "inner voice" stuff. If logic is not applied there would
be no way of distinguishing the heaven's gate cult leader and
Vishvamitra, both of whom heard "inner voices". The difference is that
the views of the latter can be supported by reasoning.

Ramakrishnan.