Change and the changeless

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Nov 6 08:21:50 CST 1997

At the risk of being branded arrogant, this intellectual self, variously
called Gummuluru Murthy likes to take up this friendly debate with the
intellectual self Allan Curry and try to answer his following question:

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Allan Curry wrote

> Namaskar
>
> Charles writes:
>
> >     We are changeless because "we" are not really "here" at all.
> >
> >      Never have been,  Never will be.
> >
> >     Only the Self is present.
> >

>     Is the author of the above the one who has never been
>     here or is the author of the above the "Self" which
>     alone "is present"? If the author is the Self who alone
>     is present, then does the author also have certain
>     knowledge of the fact they are that Self? If the author
>     is the one who is not "here" how do they know what *is*
>     here, or know anything at all?
>

> regards,
>
> - Allan Curry

This intellectual self would not put it the way Charles put it, but:

The SELF pervades all, here, there, everywhere, you, me and everyone.
SELF is the rock, the animal, the plant, the human. SELF does not
speak. SELF does not act. But it is the SELF that powers you to speak.
What is spoken is the intellectual self's understanding of the SELF.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.