One path or many paths?

shyam sundar t_shyam_sundar at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 03:48:25 CDT 1997

chelluri at AOL.COM wrote

>The goal is one - the truth is one.   Hope you all agree.

>      The paths are different.   Dwaita, Visitadvaita,  and Advaita.
>Thats fine.
>
>      What I dont understand is why the teachers want to be supreme
>over other two.
>

>      Why cant these people have their own paths  and reach the goal
>without trying
>      to put   down the other path is not right.

  I accept that the truth is one. But regarding all paths leading to the
same goal, i differ. All paths may serve as stepping stones to reach the
ultimate goal.For eg, it is the knowledge of the essential identity of
Brahman and Atman that gives mukthi ( the advaitic standpoint). Being
so, how can acceptance of Jiva- Ishwara bheda ( at the paramarthika
level)of the dvaitic teachings also liberate?
I feel that each school caters to men at various stages of evolution and
all ultimately have to accept advaitam. Vivekananda is supposed to have
said that dwaita leads man to the temple, vishishtadwaita takes to the
sanctum and advaita shows his essential identity with the lord. As
stepping stones, i find no contradiction but as leading to the ultimate,
i am not able to accept.
 Yet we find the idea of multiple paths being proclaimed by many.
I also find it difficult to understand the Shruthi vakyam Ekam Sat Vipro
Bahudha Vadanti.

Could somebody clarify?
Could  Sri Vidyashankar kindly elaborate on this?