One path or many paths?

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Wed Sep 3 16:16:30 CDT 1997

shyam sundar wrote:

>Could somebody clarify?
>Could  Sri Vidyashankar kindly elaborate on this?

Since Vidyasankar is probably busy writing his thesis and I am not, I'll
try to give an answer. I suspect Vidyasankar's answer may not be too
different from mine.

There is only one goal and one path.

The goal is the Atman. AtmalAbhAt.h paro lAbho nAstIti munayo viduh,
says shrI sureshvarAchArya. The path is obviously GYAna and nothing
else.

There are of course different ways for purifying the mind and I guess
that could roughly be called a "path". Eg, yoga, bhakti, karma et al.

Ramakrishnan.