Jnana and Bhakti

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 23 12:56:00 CDT 1998

Namashkar,
   I have come across this topic since the beginning of my study in to
Vedanta.  And, since this is a very important topic, I would like to
have some clarification regarding some basic issues.

1) What is JnAna?
   As ShrI Ravi had mentioned "JnAna" AFAIk, is the destination not
the journey.  But, true to the Indian tradition, the destination can
be reached by many paths.  "Bhakti" is the foremost path that is
mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita.  Is it not?

2) What is Bhakti?
   I really liked a recent post by shrI AnAnd,
http://listserv.tamu.edu/cgi/wa?A2=ind9804c&L=advaita-l&O=A&P=1274
   I especially liked the portion about "ashtami", "navami" etc.  I
think this explains the true nature of bhakti which is "TRUE devotion
to God" and "NOT piety".  Bhakti, when practiced in this vein will
lead to "jnAna".  Am I correct in saying this?

I kindly request a more detailed answer to the above questions.

Thanks,

-Vivek.