?Question?

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Mon Dec 7 15:01:19 CST 1998

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> Given that a name is not even necessary to a person who has renounced nama
> and rupa, what possible purpose could there be to being a dashanami except
> to express a relationship with a sampradaya?  And everyone admits it is
> Shankaracharya who has founded the Dashanami order.

|| bhava sha.nkara deshikame sharaNam.h  ||

I think we have to look at this issue deeply.

1) First of all, bhagavAn shrI shankara founded 4 AmnAya
(traditional)  maTha-s. My question is why then the sannyAsa
order was classified into 10 groups. Will not 4 be suffice? To
identify the sannyAsis initiated from each of these maTha-s? If
there was a need to identify them.

2) To start with on what basis the sannyAsis where assigned to an
appropriate order, say tIrtha or AraNya? And to what orders did
the 4 chief disciples belong to?

Unless we understand the purpose and significance of the
institution, we cannot say it is a guru-shiShya system or a
society  for sannyAsis. What were the rules of the structure
created will also determine whether one has violated it or not.

If you can give an answer supported by some authorities (like
statements of shankarAchArya-s of one of the maTha-s), it will be
more convincing.

About your comments about shrI ananda tIrtha. He is one of the
great teachers of vedanta and definitely deserves respect and
veneration. We may not agree with him, that is a different issue.
shrI ananda tIrtha has written bhAShya-s on prasthAna trayI and
established a system with a proper basis. If you say something so
strong, you should support your statements with some form of
authority.

With regards,
Ravi

|| AUM namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ||