Sanskrit books

Subhanu Saxena Subhanu.Saxena at INTL.PEPSI.COM
Wed Dec 16 01:34:24 CST 1998

On Tuesday December 15, Ashish Chandra wrote

> These books are
>
> 1. Sanskrit Vyavahara Sahasri, Pallava Prakashana, Bangalore
> 2. Sanskrit-Hindi Kosh by Vaman Shivram Apte, pub : Motilal Banarsidass
> 3. Brihad Anuvad Chandrika by Chakradhar N. Shastri, pub: Motilal
> Banarsidass.

The first book is a phrase book that is more suited to a course in soken
Sanskrit, as opposed to learning grammar.  The second is a dictionary that
is always worth having. Apte's dictionary is availabe in several forms
(simple and more extensive) You should go for the "student's edition" if you
are commencing your studies.  I don't know the 3rd book.

I think you would be better off finding a good teacher in your area, and
learning with him. I'm not sure where you live, but I am sure through your
local cultural organisations you will be able to find somebody. Having said
that, you may  find the following books useful:

1) Saral Sanskrit Shikshak (Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan publications)

10 book series progressing from basic language and grammer to advanced
topics, with good reading selections from Vamiki Ramayana, Kalsidasa and
others by the time you get to the last few books. This is available in both
English and Hindi versions (as well as other languages)

2) Shabda and Dhatu manjari's (Published by vadhyar & sons)

These are tables of noun and verb forms as derived from the root (dhAtu),
which you will need as you go through your studies.

3) Sanskrit readers (various publishers )
Simple stories through which you can learn new vocabulary and specific
points of grammer. The one by Lanman is a little advanced, but is thoroughly
recommended for those who are in their later stages of study. It has
selections from Mahabharata (the nala-damayanti episode), Hitopadesa, Katha
Sarit Sagara, Manu Smriti, And an extensive Vedic reader section.

4) For learning Panini's grammer, I would recommend you only do that through
a competent teacher who can take you through Laghu Siddhanta Kaumudi
(available throug Motilal Banarsidas)

5) "Teach yourself Sanskrit" is a comprehensive book as part of the "Teach
yourself" series, and is available in most large bookshops in the West. Most
of these books, however, and particularly the Sanskrit one, tend to work
best with a teacher, in spite of the title of the book

6) As people know,there is also a publication called "learn Sanskrit in 30
days" as part of that series. I shall leave it to you as to whether you find
this book useful

I'm not sure where your brother is going to be in India, but I would
recommend heading to the following shops for books:

i) Delhi

Chowkhamba booksellers on Bungalow Road, Jawaharnagar behind the university.

Motilal Banarsidas on the same road

The English Bookstore in Connaight Place

Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Bookshop on Kasturbha Gandhi Marg

Ramakrishna Mission, off Pachkunyia Road

ii) Bangalore

Vedanta Bookhouse in Chamrajpet, near the Ramakrishna Math. This bookstore
is THE business. Its got, or can get, everything and anything you need.

Motilal Banarsidas. This is now just off MG road in the centre of town

iii) Mumbai

Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan bookstore-this is pretty big and has lots of stuff on
Sanskrit

Ramakrishna Mission-The Swami's there are very helpful in recommending
Sanskrit books

Motilal Banarsidas-not sure of the address in Mumbai, but I hear they have a
big bookshop.

Hope this helps

Regards

Subhanu