Bhagavad kr^pa (grace of God)

Charles Wikner WIKNER at NACDH4.NAC.AC.ZA
Tue Jan 13 01:11:08 CST 1998

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> 1. We all know bhagavad kr^pa (whatever that parameter) is the same toward
>    all jeevas. If not, that is not God (as Shri Sadananda said). Yet, the
>    karma concept says that depending on jeeva's past actions, the jeeva's
>    future lives and actions are determined. This, I would assume, in spite
>    of the bhagavad kr^pa toward all jeevas ? Does it mean that the jeeva's
>    past action has a stronger impact than bhagavad kr^pa ? Can it be
>    possible ? Isn't there a contradiction negating the sameness of
>    bhagavad kr^pa ? The explanation, that we are seeing different jeevas
>    at various stages of their spiritual evolution, and bhagavad kr^pa is
>    the same for all, does not hold either. Thus, the only explanation is
>    that the duality we see, and the whole (concepts of karma, and
>    bhagavad kr^pa) all belong in the realm of mAya. Anyone, care to
>    comment ?

A thought that came to mind:  what if you change the point of view
and consider that karma IS bhagavad kr^pa?   Bhagavad is then like
an indulgent parent and we the spoilt children.  He will give you
whatever you desire, but you have to take everything that goes with
it.  As a simple illustration, if you want children, then you must
accept twenty years of responsibility as a parent; similarly, if you
want wisdom, then you must give up ignorance.

What if you view karma as a gift, an opportunity, and not a punishment?

Just a thought.

Charles.