VairAgyam

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Thu May 28 10:23:49 CDT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Ravi Mayavaram wrote:

>On Tue, 26 May 1998, Dr. M. Giridhar wrote:
>>
>>        To cultivate dispassion thus requires constant discrimination
>>between the real and the unreal and also an attitude of bhakti towards the
>>Supreme (Self, or Guru or Ishvara). The desire towards objects would
>>automatically drop off when the above is followed with intensity. How ?
>>Kanchi periyava gives an example in his book 'The voice of divinity'.
>>Maybe you have seen a bundle of logs tied by a rope. Sometimes it is
>>difficult to remove the rope. Therefore, another rope is taken and the
>>logs are bound more tightly. The old rope becomes 'loose' and
>>automatically falls off.  Similarly, when attachment towards Ishvara is
>>cultivated, the attachment one has to objects falls off.
>>
>namaste Giri
>
>Thanks for quoting this. kAnchi periyavar gave this nice explanation
>with regard to the beautiful kuRaL
>
>paRRuga paRRaRRAn paRRinai appARRai
>paRRuga paRRa vidaRku

namaste

I was busy, so I could not type the meaning for this beautiful kuRaL.
In this the great sage tiruvaLLuvar emphasizes on the devotion to
lord.

Tamil word "paRRu" (pronounced like patru)  means seek,
bondage, and attachment (depending on the context.

pARRuga    seek
paRRaRRAn  One who has no bondage (that is Ishvara). This term will
           split as paRRu + aRRAn

paRRinai       bondage (bond yourself to  God)

appARRinai      That bondage you sought  (is for)

paRRa viDaRku   getting rid of all other bondages.

Seek and bond yourself with the One who has no bondage, do so to
get rid of all other desires and bondages.

Naturally a question will arise whether or not seeking Ishvara will
lead to another bondage. Answer is no. That is what kAnchi periyavar
explained  through a beautiful example (which giri quoted).

Ravi