French scholars translations

Guy Werlings guy.werlings at WANADOO.FR
Fri Oct 9 11:21:38 CDT 1998

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram wrote on 9 Oct:

> I agree with shrI Subhanu Saxena on using the original
> saMskR^itam.h words instead of translations. It is frustrating
> when authors use the terms "soul", "self" etc, very loosely. I
> also agree that attempting learn in original saMskR^itam.h is
> very fruitful.
>
> Another thing I think about the example quoted by Guy is this.
> The word pUrNam.h is more close to full or complete. pUrNatvam.h
> is a state of completeness in which there is no lack of anything
> and no more want, as there are no desires left unfulfilled.
> Translating that into "infinite" or "infinite plenitude", I think
> will give only a false sense of intellectual satisfaction.
> Complex verses like "pUrNamadaH .." should be learnt and
> understood under a good teacher. Reading that on one's own is
> worthless.
>
> I remember a quote on quantum mechanics which says that if one
> does not get shocked after learning quantum mechanics, (s)he does
> not understand it at all.  I think the same applies here. I have
> read that when a guru instructs the mahAvAkyam to the disciple
> (at appropriate time), he will get realized. These days we see it
> written and read everywhere (I hope not on the back of
> T-shirts!), with no realization.
>
> Key is acquiring necessary background and learning from a
> competent teacher.
>
> With respects,
> Ravi

 Namaste !

I agree with all the arguments of SrI Subhanu Saxena also. I was just
trying to type very slowly (because nearly everybody on the list now
knows that I am disabled) some further ideas on the same subject when
the above message from SrI Ravi was received.

Now what is your final conclusion, Ravi ? That all scholars should stop
publising and should perish instead ? Perhaps would it be as a fact more
safe for the pure tradition. In any case, I feel just glad not to have
become a scholar myself (thus not obliged to choose between "publish or
perish"), and I am stupidly satisfied that my only endeavour has been
and is still to try to do all what I can to be a good adhikAri and a
good sAdhaka in my next life.

With all respects,

Guy

bhava shankara deshika me sharaNam