French scholars translations

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Fri Oct 9 14:17:15 CDT 1998

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Guy Werlings wrote:

> Now what is your final conclusion, Ravi ? That all scholars should stop
> publising and should perish instead ? Perhaps would it be as a fact more
> safe for the pure tradition. In any case, I feel just glad not to have
> become a scholar myself (thus not obliged to choose between "publish or
> perish"), and I am stupidly satisfied that my only endeavour has been
> and is still to try to do all what I can to be a good adhikAri and a
> good sAdhaka in my next life.

Please do discuss what you intended to discuss.

Your mail with the example pUrNamadaH  was a good eye opener.
shruti is something we should not read from printed texts. Most
of us do. And more so from translations. I have already minimized
the reading of what I am not supposed to read. Now my faith that
I will be better off doing 100 more gAyatri-s than reading
Upanishads on my own from printed texts, has enormously
increased.

Why worry whether the "so-called" scholars perish or publish? I
am more worried about whether I am doing what I am supposed to
do? I am not. Hence, my job is to correct myself. When I said it
is worthless to read from printed texts, it is my personal
experience.

I should thank you for your mail. Because, for some reason, after
reading that, a strong feeling arose in me that I should follow
the traditional way of leaning shruti and never again read
upaniShad-s from printed texts.

Again, please feel free to discuss what you intend to do.

With respects,
Ravi

mInalochani pAshamochani