bhaja govindaM verse 4

Giridhar giridhar at CHEMENG.IISC.ERNET.IN
Tue Feb 2 06:48:20 CST 1999

naliniidalagata jalamatitaralaM
tadvajjiivitamatishayachapalam.h .
viddhi vyaadhyabhimaanagrastaM
lokaM shokahataM cha samastam.h .. 4..

##nalinii## \= lotus
##dala## \= petal;
##gata## \ = reached/gone;
##jala## \ = water(drop);
##ati## \ = very ;
##taralaM## \ = unstable;
##tadvat.h## \ = like that;
##jiivita## \ = life;
##atishaya## \ = wonderful;
##chapalaM## \ = fickle-minded;
##viddhi## \ = know for sure;
##vyaadhi## \ = disease;
##abhimaana## \ = self-importance;
##grastaM## \ = having been caught/seized;
##lokaM## \ = world;
##shokahataM## \ = attacked(hata) by grief(shoka);
##cha## \ = and;
##samastaM## \ = entire;

The life of a person is as uncertain as water drops
trembling on a lotus petal. Know certainly that the
whole world remains a prey to disease, self-importance
and grief.

Nature shows how unstable is the rain drop on a lotus petal.
A slight blow of the mind and the water is gone. Life
itself is like that. A person is here today and poof!, he
is gone for ever tomorrow. Life is always slipping through our fingers
and the only certainity we have is that we are slowly crawling
(or maybe running) towards the death of the body. But even during
this journey towards death, we remain a prey to disease, ego
and consequently, grief. Life in this world is short, insecure
and full of uncertainities. And yet, we seem to carry on
doing frivolious activities in spite of the imminent danger.
Surely, we should strive towards the final goal of life with
earnest effort and perseverance. The attainment of goal may be
drawn out and may look far off, but if we do not start now,
we may never start it. A moment lost can never be regained.
Hence, let us not waste too much time before it is too late.