Absolutism and Relativism in Advaita

T Swaminarayan tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 5 13:22:34 CDT 2000

Dear Vivek,
Your statement:
    This leads to my second question : Can conflicting
philosophies be "resolved" within Advaita?  I have
heard
that even dvaita and vishishTadvaita have a place in
Advaita. But, as a philosophy Advaita is **opposed**
dvaita and vishishTadvaita. Right?  So, how can there
be a
reconciliation?

My comments:
Advaita is never opposed to dvaita and
visishtadvaita.In fACT IT FULLY ENDORSES THESE VIEWS
and states that they are to be accepted as long as we
are in this state of Vyavahara but they are not the
endall of our investigations,in as much as that there
is something more to be learnt beyond these emperical
truths. Gaudapada states,
Vivadamo na taihi,sardham avivadam nibhodata;
I do not argue with them , listen to the undisputable:

Akalpakam Ajam Gyanam Gyeyabhinnam prachakshate,
Brahmagyeyam Ajam Nityam Ajena Ajam vibhudyate.

IT is unimaginable by the mind,
Never born, Pure KNOWLEDGE, cannot be separated from
the knowable,
BRAHMAN is to be understood BY ITSELF FROM ITSELF.

Warm regards

Swaminarayan

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l.html