Advaita and Christianity

Tue Mar 28 22:08:15 CST 2000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, jkcowart at cari.net wrote:

> In that case, I might suggest one other:
>
> Vempeny, Ishanand, S.J.  _Krsna and Christ._  Anand, India:  X. Diaz del
>         Rio, 1988.  Cloth, 498 pp.  ISBN: None shown.  $20.00.
>
> Prof. Vempenny introduces his "Dialogical Method" which operates on
> the "conviction that no religion possesses the truth totally and
> exclusively, that every religion has enough wealth to enrich other
> religions, and that every religion is worthy of love and respect."
> He states that his method is "more love-centered than
> knowledge-centered" and that it "lays more emphasis on right attitude
> than right logic."  (Quotes are from the Prologue.)

There was a Catholic priest who made similiar statements (in the context
of Buddhism, he was Shri Lankan I  believe but I forgot his name) and was
excommunicated.  So it is very interesting to hear of things like
this.  However at the moment it is just fine rhetoric.  When Christians
start putting murtis of Krshna Bhagawan in their churches then it will
mean something.  Until then it is just appropriation, a form of cultural
imperialism.

If Hindus do this it is nothing to be proud of either.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.