Advaita and Christianity

Tue Mar 28 22:37:23 CST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, T Swaminarayan wrote:

> Is it not time that we pause a while and ruminate as
> to where this thread is leading us to? Do we all not
> know that Religion ends where Philosophy begins?Why
> are we talking about the various religions in this
> forum which is devoted to Advaita as preached by
> Shankara?

By the way if list members are not interested in the current topics of
discussion, they should feel free to start up another one (providing it
deals with Advaita Vedanta of course.)  You needn't wait for permission or
anything.

> Surely, Shankara did talk about religion to
> many of his followers who were not ripe enough to
> transend it! Even though Shankara preched Advaita with
> Scriptural authority he also composed Saundarya Lahiri
> in praise of the Shakti Goddess -Kali (Ref:
> Panchayatana thread in this discussion somewhere).
> Surely Shankara also established the Shadmathas with
> six gurus to propogate them to the  respective
> religious masses.

Bhakti is not necessarily just for the unready. Swami Madhusudana
Saraswati is an example of an Advaita luminary who upheld the highest
ideals of the jnana marga and was an ardent bhakta of Krshna Bhagawan too.
Yet despite that he also wrote a work called ratnatrayapariksha which
aimed to show that Shiva, Vishnu, and Devi are one.  That's the Advaita
ideal of Bhakti.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.