Hindu Trinity

Mon May 1 16:06:32 CDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan wrote:

> I was unsure as to whether HiraNyagarbha was actually Brahmaa, so thanks
> for the clarification.

Note according to Samkhya/Yoga Hiranyagarbha is equated with Maharshi
Kapila who is the founder of that darshan.  In the Bhagavata Purana,
Kapila is also called an Avatar of Vishnu Bhagawan.

> The reason for excluding the worship of hiraNyagarbha for the sake of
> moksha has philosophical basis in advaita, as GauDapaada explains in his
> mANDUkyopanishhad.h kArikA 3.25 (see below with Shankara's commentary,
> translation by SwAmi GaMbhIrAnanda). Basically as I understand it, worship
> of HiraNyagarbha is part of the karma kANDa, which by itself does not (and
> cannot) lead to mukti.

Evidently in those days there were Vedantins (or Yogins) who believed in
combining Jnana with the ritual worship and meditation of
Hiranyagarbha.  Perhaps this is another clue to the lack of Brahma-worship
nowadays?  It did not so much die out but was abstracted into an
unrecognizable form.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.