New member introduction: Sandesh Anvekar

Wed May 3 14:31:45 CDT 2000

> I had always liked The teachings of Advaita Vedanta. This is because
> it teaches us to believe in ourselves as GOD and so we possess all the
> strength and so we do not have to bend infront of any 'Saguna Ishwara'
> for his blessings

I don't mean to single out you in particular but this seems to be a
prevalent misunderstanding of the teachings of Advaita Vedanta.  Modern
people have a problem with religion because it asks them to  be
humble.  It offends their egos to have to "bend in front of" Ishwara.  And
so they are attracted to Advaita Vedanta because it affirms their own
"strength."  But does it really?  The more one reflects on the subject the
more one realizes that what is meant by "self" is much more than Sandesh
or Jaldhar and it is superficial and childish to think there is this "big
person" who is trying to dominate a "little person."  In fact they share
one and the same essence.  So the Advaitin would ask why not submit to
Ishwara, why not seek His blessings?

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.