Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta -- Matavilasa of Mahendravarman

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 21 16:23:12 CDT 2000

As a side note, I would like to revisit the question: Did pre-Shankaracharya
Aupanishadas and Buddhists themselves notice the close similarity in their
philosophy or not?

The statement of Bhavya (550 CE?) in this regard is well known. For the
information of the list members, I bring their attention to the play
'Matavilasa' of the Pallava King Mahendravarman, who is said to have ruled
around 600 CE or earlier. In line 82 of the play, a character, the Kapalika
accuses the Buddha of stealing his doctrinal ideas from the Mahabharata and
the Vedanta while the ‘Brahmins blinked’. This accusation clearly attests to
the close affinity of Buddhism with the Hindu Mahabharata and Vedanta (of
that time), and is also one of the earliest attested usages of the word
‘Vedanta’ outside the Veda-Brahmana-Itihasa-Purana.

Reference:
1. Michael Lockwood & A. Vishnu Bhat; King Mahendravarman’s Plays; Tambaram
Research Associates; Madras; 1991

Sincerely,

Vishal Agarwal

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam