New member introduction: Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat

Wed Sep 6 20:57:26 CDT 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> Now this struggle is with who and with what? Is this not an internal
> struggle with the six great enemies of kAma, krodha, lobha, moha, mada
> and mAtsarya? This is the struggle that has to be won.

How?  The necessity of Vedantic Sadhana (which in the final analysis is
just as unreal as kama etc.) is because it doesn't just describe WHAT the
problem is but HOW to overcome it.  Wise men may have different thoughts
on what are the correct methods but all must agree there is a method or
else we are just wasting time.

The vast majority of problems are internal, i.e. caused by our defective
reasoning or mental state.  But not all of them.  Sometimes the external
ones are more important.  Why did Krishna bother helping Arjuna?  Why did
the Sringeri Jagadgurus help the Vijayanagara empire?  Because in those
cases the cause of dharma was better served by outward action than
inward.

> This "being sick and tired of" something is to be won over.

Being enamored of "hypermodern" fads instead of the truth is also
something to be won over. :-)

> That is,
> the struggle is internal. The problem is right there. And that problem
> is to be solved. Why put labels "classic advaita", "new-age gurus",
> "hypermodern advaita" and so on, instead of purifying oneself?

If it is "instead of" than it is just playing politics.  It should be
"along with"  The ability to discriminate between right and wrong is an
essential part of that self-purification.  We do not countenance fools and
knaves in any other field of human endeavor.  Why should we do so in the
field of Vedanta which is knowledge that can be acquired like any other
knowledge?

Bravo to Chaitanya Bhagavat and all those who are choosing the right way
over the easy way.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.