Notes on BSB I-i-4-1G

Dennis Waite dwaite at d...
Wed Apr 11 14:37:53 CDT 2001

sadaashiva samaarambhaa.n sha~Nkaraachaarya
madhyamam.h |
asmadaachaarya paryantaa.n vande guruparamparaam.h ||

I prostrate to the lineage of teachers starting from Lord Shiva who is ever
auspicious and with Bhagavaan Shankara in the middle and all the way up to
my own teacher.

vaatsalya ruupa.n triguNairatiitaM
aananda saandram amalairnidhaanam.h .|
shrii chinmayaananda guro praNiitaM
sadaa bhaje.aha.n tava paada pa~Nkajam.h ||

Who is the very embodiment of motherly affection who is beyond the three
guNa-s, who is full with bliss, and who is the very source of purity who is
the best among the
teachers, Shree Chinmayaananda, to his lotus feet I (sadaa) always
prostrate.
 samanvaya adhyaaya - I
 spashhTa brahma li~Nga vaakya samanvaya paada - i
 samanvaya adhikaraNam.h .- 4
 suutra: tat tu samanvayaat.h .-1G

Notes on BSB I-i-4-1G
If we recall the puurvamiimaamsaka's definition of pramaaNam is - anadhigata
abaadhita saprayojana arthabodhakam pramaaNam - It should reveal something,
which is new, not negated by other pramaaNam-s and useful.
We have proved above that Vedanta is pramaaNa by their own definition since
it fulfils all the requirements. Now let us examine the karmakaanDa.
Does it fulfil all the above conditions? It reveals new things like puNyam,
paapam, swarga, etc, merits, demerits, heaven etc. It is also useful - since
dharma, artha and kaama purushhaartha are fulfilled. Two requirements are
met.
But does it fulfil abaadhita condition that is it should not be negated by
any other pramaaNa. Shankara says it does not fulfil that requirement since
karmakaanDa is negated by the j~naanakaanDam of the Veda-s. This is because
karmakaanDa reveals duality, which is the main theme of karmakaanDa.
j~naanakanDam says na iha naanaa asti ki~nchana -
there is no plurality at all. What you call as plurality is nothing but
Brahman

brahama eva idam amR^itam purastaat brahma pashchaat brahma dakshinataH cha
uttareNa, adhaH cha uurdhvam cha prasR^itam brahma eva idam vishvam idam
varishhTham - MunDaka Upa. 2-2-11

Brahma which is changeless is everywhere - in the front, in the back, in the
south, in the north, above, below - all over it is nothing but Brahman.
This entire magnificent universe is nothing but Brahman. What about the
duality - Vedanta says - yatra vaa anyadi vasyaat tatra anyaH anyat
pashyet - where there is a seeming duality then alone a person sees
plurality everywhere - yatra sarvam aatmaa eva abhuut tatra kena kam
pashyet - when a person can recognize the aatman where is the question of
duality? From these two statements it is clear that aj~naana kaale dvaitam,
j~naanakaale advaitam - only when one is ignorant one sees the plurality and
the seeming plurality disappears when one has the knowledge of Brahman.
Whatever one perceives when one is ignorant can be a pramaaNam or
apramaaNam - valid or invalid knowledge. The snake is there at the time of
ignorance and rope is there after gaining the knowledge - then that is valid
knowledge. Hence snake is invalid or mithya. Hence karmakaanDa reveals
invalid duality which is perceived at the time of ignorance. Therefore
karmakaanDa is apramaaNam. Furthermore there is an interesting statement -
anyaH asau anyaH aham iti saH na veda saH devaanam paashuH - the one who
says I am different from others he does not know, he is the most ignorant.
(Devanaam pashuH is a proverb indicating that he is the master in
stupidity.) Thus dvaitam or duality is invalid and karmakaanDa based on
dvaitam is also invalid. If at all it should get validity it has to be
hooked up to j~naanakaanDa. In what way will it be useful to j~naanakaanDa?
Shankara says j~naanakaanDa saadhanatvena karmakaanDasya praamaaNyam. It is
useful as a means to prepare the student to qualify for j~naanakaanDa. How
will it help as a means to come to j~naanakaanDa? saadhana chatushhTaya
sampatti pradhaanena - karmakaanDa is useful by giving four fold
qualifications required to prepare a student for Brahman inquiry - for
details Shankara says refer to the discussion related to the first suutra -
atha ataH brahma jij~naasa. karmakaanDa is not meant for dharma artha kaama
purushaartha, and vedantin does not consider that they are purushhaartha at
all since they are only exalted sa.nsaara. In fact, karmakaanDa and
upaasanaa are all ultimately meant for vairaagya siddhi. dharma, artha,
kaama is only a sugar coating for the medicines to give ultimately the
vairaagya required to turn one's attention to secure moksha. It is like a
chocolate laxative given to children to cleanse the system. After one gets
deeply entangled in sa.nsaara, a time will come in the evolution of a jiiva
when he feels like running away from these attachments - an indication that
the medicine is working!
Hence it is superficially dharma, artha, kaamaartham but in the final
analysis it is meant only for acquiring saadhana chatushhTayam eva.
After acquiring the saadhana chatushhTayam the person comes to Vedanta -
athaH (suutra 1) karmakaanDa dwaara vairaagya siddhi anantaram - through the
path of karmakanDa after acquiring detachment, inquiry into Brahman.
Is there a pramaaNam for this? - or is it just sour grapes of a
brahmachaarii sanyaasin bhaashhyakaara-s!?
pramaaNam 1: pariikshya lokaan karmachitaan brahmaNo ... Mund. Upa. 1-2-12
(the full mantra is explained with reference to suutra 1), having
experienced all the benefits of karma and after one examines the bottom
line, one should get vairaagyam or detachment. How come we see lot of people
not having that vairaagyam? - Well, all it means is that they will continue
taking the medicine until it works - that is the law of nature. Everyone is
seeking aanandam or happiness and it takes lot more for some to learn that
seeker and the sought are one and the same and any search is futile.

pramaaNam 2: tam etam vedaanuvachanena brahmaaNaa vividishhanti yaj~nena
daanena tapasaa anaashhakena (Bri. Up. ref? ). Here yaj~na refers to karma,
daana means charity and tapasaa refers to upaasana. The mantra says the
purpose of all these is ultimately for generating interest in Vedanta
(vividishaa) - jij~naasa. Interest in Vedanta is directly proportional to
vairaagyam towards sa.nsaara. Gita says - yoginaH karma kurvanti sa~Nga.n
tyaktvaa aatmasiddhaye. Yogis perform action renouncing the fruits of
actions in order to purify their minds.
Hence karamakaanDa is not useful by itself but only useful for facilitating
the development of saadhana chatushhTaya sampatti which is the
   requirement
for Vedanta vichaara. In Gita also this is stated as - sarvam karma akhilam
paartha j~naane parisamaapyate - [IV:33]
Thus Shankara makes it clear that karmakaaNDa is only useful when it gets
related to j~naankaaNDa. puurvapakshi-s got it completely ultasiida
(opposite) in claiming that it is the other way. Hence by their own
arguments if utility is the criteria, karamakaaNDa is useless directly and
only useful indirectly. Hence it is not a primary pramaaNa but only a
secondary one.

********
Notes on Brahmasuutra-s are now stored in a folder and can be accessed at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/advaitin/files/Notes+on+Brahmasuutra/
for personal study.

***Copyright Protection - These notes are copyright protected. ***
-- K. Sadananda
Code 6323
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington D.C. 20375