Karma

ken knight hilken_98 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 12 10:04:35 CDT 2001

Namaste Sada,
I came to today's postings after responding to my
son's request for help at one of those crisis moments
that we all have. My reply to him was: every moment
now has its cause in the past and is a preparation for
the future; all of it under law. Later I will point
him to your full posting as it is perfectly phrased.
Thank you. Below is just a part:
> - What you want other to do to you, it is your
> dharma to do others -
> you want others to be kind to you, forgive your
> mistakes, be
> compassinate towards you etc - and that is your
> dharma to do for
> others.  And that you do not want others to do to
> you, you should not
> do to others - you do not want others to hurt you ,
> lie to you, steal
> your property etc - Hence you should not do those to
> others.  It is
> as simple as that - One evolves by following ones
> dharma, says
> Krishna.

To the postings on karma with its subsections of
prarabhda and sanchit I would like to offer some words
from the gospel of St John. I do so because as one who
studies advaita, confident in its validity, I would
say that from the point of view of brahman/atman such
a discourse has  relevance only in the world of the
limitations, upadhis. It is only from a position under
the veil of maaya that we can discuss such matters as
karma. The text is St. John Chapter 9, Verses 1-5.
'And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind
from his birth.  And the disciples asked him, saying,
Master, who did sin, this man or his parents, that he
was born blind?  Jesus answered, Neither has this man
sinned, nor his parents; but that the works of God
should be made manifest in him. I must work the works
of him that sent me, while it is day; the night
cometh, when no man can work.  As long as I am in this
world, I am the light of this world.'
Now view this in the light of the teachings of
advaita. Is it not a beautiful teaching of Jesus?
Finally, may I add congratulations and thanks to the
administrators of this listing in joining the magic
500+ club although this tickles my odd sense of humour
as we seek to understand that which is 'not two'.
Om sri ram jai jai ram
Ken