Advaita and Rg veda

Mon Apr 1 21:03:55 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Venkataramani K. wrote:

> I am new to the vedas. I have only read Bhagavad Gita and parts of Srimad
> Bhagavatam and a few writings of Kanchi paramacharya. So, I will appreciate
> any guidance from you. I have Sri Aurobindo's Secret of the veda, but that
> is only a translation, though it gives me a nice over all picture. Kindly
> tell me how I should approach the vedas.

The Vedas should only be learned directly from the mouth of a sadguru who
has learnt them from his own teacher in the same way and only after the
proper initatory vidhis.  Furthermore it is the shakha and sutra your
family belongs to which should be studied not any old portion.

Aurobindo is totally unreliable as a guide to the understanding of the
Vedas.  May I suggest "Hindu Dharma" by Swami Chandrashekharendra
Saraswati which can be found online at http://www.kamakoti.org/ instead?