Translation Series - Gita Bhashya - Preface

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 2 14:03:18 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

--- Vidyasankar <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> July 24 2002, Wednesday, 11:45 AM, Pacific Standard
> Time.
> Posted by Vidyasankar
>
> This is the introductory posting for the translation
> series on the
> commentary of Shri Shankara Bhagavatpada on the
> Bhagavad Gita.

> I had started a translation project a few years
> earlier, but had to suspend
> it for a long time. This is a fresh start, from the
> very beginning, all over
> again. List members may be interested in reading
> about the background of the
> Gita in the following archived post, which relates
> it to the Mahabharata
> epic in which the text is found -

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9808e&L=advaita-l&P=494

In the above referred article, you wrote:

"Various kinds of allegorical connections have been
drawn from the epic
story, by various scholars and teachers. Academic
scholars, for example,
see a model of the Indian social organization, based
on the four varnas,
represented in the qualities of the five Pandavas.
>From a more practical
perspective, and this will be of more interest to
readers here, the five
Pandavas are usually said to represent the five
senses. Krishna, the
charioteer, is the Atman, who holds the reins and
guides them throughout.
Without the light of the Atman, the senses are lost,
just as the Pandavas
are lost without the help and guidance of Krishna. "

How is it that you are comparing Lord Krishna to
'Atman' here. How can 'Atman', a non-agent,  be the
'Guide' ?  Also we remember 'Budhim tu sarathim
viddhi" which equates the Partha sarathi to
Budhi/Intellect which guides one to 'Atman'. Also,
senses are not controlled by 'Atman'. It is under the
influence of 'MIND' that the senses revel in their
fields of activity.

Please clarify.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna