Can one realise the Brahman by intellect alone?

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 23 03:01:28 CDT 2002

Dear Mr Floyd,

Namaskar.

No, I did not post the issue merely for the sake of
discussion. I had some genuine doubts which are in the
process of being cleared by the list members.

Mere scholarship or a sharp intellect may not be
sufficient for Self Realisation. As has been pointed
out in this discussion intellect can lead only that
far and the rest depends on God's grace. However self
effort is very vital. There is a saying, if one takes
one step towards God He takes ten steps towards you.
Self effort is that one step and Grace is the ten
steps.

Yes, I have read the book you have refered to. I read
it whenever I feel despondent. I agree with your
conclusion but here we must consider the fact that the
questions are directed to a personality no less than
Bhagawan Sri Ramana and also realise that the full
force of His grace is behind each answer He gives. It
is His grace and not our enquiry alone that shows the
way.

Yours sincerely

Jagannath.