Translation Series - Gita Bhashya - Preface

MSR miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 30 15:09:36 CDT 2002

--- Vidyasankar <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> giitaadhyaanam - Invocation to the Gita
>
>                          .. OM ..
>
>  paarthaaya pratibodhitaaM bhagavataa naaraayaNena svayaM
>  vyaasena grathitaaM puraaNamuninaa madhyemahaabhaaratam.h .
>  advaitaamR^itavarshhiNiiM bhagavatiimashhTaadashaadhyaayiniiM
>  amba tvaamanusandadhaami bhagavadgiite bhavedveshhiNiim.h ..
>
>  Taught to the son of Prithu (= Partha = Arjuna) by Lord Narayana
> himself,
>  Written down by Vyasa, the ancient sage, as part of the Mahabharata,
>  The Goddess, who showers the nectar of non-duality in eighteen
> chapters,
>  I study you, Mother, Bhagavad Gita, the enemy of transmigratory
> existence.

namaste Vidya:

1) pR^ithA is the pre-adoption name of kunti. Hence arjuNa is called
pArtha or son of pR^ithA. When you say "son of prithu" do you mean the
same? Is not pR^ithu  a masculine name?

2) Who is the author of this verse? Especially the term
"advaitaamR^itavarshhiNiim" seems to link to someone in our tradition.

Thank you for restarting this series.

Ravi

=====
ambaaL daasan

Ravi

sharaNAgata raxakI nivEyani sadA ninnu nammiti mInAxI

http://www.ambaa.org/  http://www.advaita-vedanta.org