Advaita : Some Basic Explanations - 2

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Fri Mar 1 23:32:01 CST 2002

In my reply to Shri Srikrishna Ghadiyaram given previously,
it seems I have missed typing sentences at two places.
Kindly add the following at places shown. Pardon my carelessness.

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> Hari Om !!
>
> --- hbdave <hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN> wrote:
> >
> > Dear List members,
> > Here is the posting no. 2.
> > I thank Shri S.V.Subrahmanian for kind words.
> > -- Himanshu
> -------------
> Sri Himanshu wrote:
>
> There are four stages in this teaching :
>
> ii.     realizing {\skt aikya} - oneness of {\skt
> aatmaa} - Self and
>         {]\skt paramaatmaa} - brahman;
>
> Q: Where is the question or need to realize the
> one-ness of 'Atman' and 'Brahman' as they are the same
> by definition, when once we differentiate 'Jivatman'
> from the 'Atman' ? Is it not that the nomenclature
> 'Atman' is for the same all-pervading Consciousness
> with respect to the individual (distinct from the
> Jivatman  after accomodating the views of
> Visishtadvaita or Dwaita) ? Ofcourse, I imagine that I
> may realize or 'perceive' the same consciousness in
> all the other beings when I realize my own
> consciousness 'true nature of Jivatman' which I am.
> What you said can not be equal to saying oneness of
> Jivatman and Brahman. Kindly explain.

The equivalence of jiiva with brahman is called
badha-samaanaadhikara.na
i.e. equivalence by taking matching part of jiiva and
taking baadha of the remaining characteristics.

The equivalence of aatman with brahman is called
saamaanya-samaanaadhikara.na
i.e. equivalence as equality or by common characteristics.
Both are valid. Some Acharyas take one, some the other.
When we to emphasis the baadha, we say jiivo brahma.h
na ca aparaiva;
when we have already discussed baadha of jiiva to aatman
we may say ayamaatmaa brahma.h

> am particularly confused when Mundaka Up says there
> are 'two birds' (interpreted as 1. Jivatma 2. Atma or
> Paramatma) or when Aitareya Up says 'He entered the
> body of man' (my doubt is he entered as what ? as
> Jivatma or Atma ?), or when I see sentences saying,
> the Paramatma is witnessing all the Jivas and their
> three states.

(please add to the explanation already given :)
Still, what are these two birds? They are the
kutastha (aatman) and chidaabhaasa (aanandamaya).
chidaabhaasa eats and enjoys the fruits, kutastha
is the witness, look on.

> I am thoroughly disturbed with these confusions.
> Kindly do not ignore them or ask me to derive from all
> the other posts. I would appreciate direct answers, so
> my understanding is not limited by my confused mind
> and its limitations of derivation.
>
> Om Namo Naarayanaya !!
>
> Srikrishna

I hope taking into account this missed