Scale of Jnani's

swamy swarna swamyswarna at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 14 08:46:06 CST 2002

Om Namh Sivaya. Thanks for the slokas. This is the
benefit of Satsang, since knowledgeable readers will
correct us. However, I still have a doubt. Kindly
clarify.

I present you an analogy. Light represents knowledge,
so let us say Sun is Jnani. A planet is a non-luminous
body, so we call it Ajnani. Now let us assume that the
planet is moving closer and closer to the sun. To a
distant observer, the planet now appears brighter and
brighter(by the reflected light) and may look like a
luminous body. However, till it actually falls into
the sun and loses its identity, a careful observer
will be able to differentiate the two objects.
Similarly a highly intelligent Sadhaka may appear to
be a Jnani but without the destruction of the ego he
doesn't become a luminary.

Another analogy. Let us think of a man bound by a
number of ropes. Slowly a rat (Sri Ganesha's vahanam,
can certainly help the Sadhaka's struggle for freedom
if He is pleased), starts nibbling at the ropes. As
the different ropes are cut away, the freedom of the
person to move his different limbs increases until he
is almost free, but till the last rope is severed, he
is still bound.

If we equate a Jnani with a Jeevanmukta, then to my
uninitiated intellectual mind, it still represents a
binary situation. Almost bright, almost free is not
the same as luminous, and free. From black to white,
we are moving. A faint grey is still white tinged with
a slight blackness. I would call such a person an
adept, a great Sadhaka.

Sorry if I have erred in logic. I would like to be
corrected. And it is a sign of my ego which likes to
intellectualise without experiencing the union,the
fusion.

Thanks again.

Venkateswara Swamy Swarna

http://sports.yahoo.com/