Advaita parampara

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Oct 4 09:49:30 CDT 2002

namaste,

>There is a shukarahasyopaniShad, belonging to the shuklayajurveda, which
>says that mahAdeva initiated shuka, son of vyAsa, by imparting the
>mahAvAkyas to him. Traditionally, gauDapAda is said to have been a disciple
>of shuka. This explains the alternative form of the verse, which reads
>sadAshiva samArambhAm.

Is this verse present in the Complete Works of Shankaracharya published by
Samata Books? Recently, I got a chance to peruse one of the volumes (the one
with Stotras etc) for some time, and I don't think I saw this verse in that
volume. I have also heard another version of this which goes "dakshiNamUrti
samArambhAm..."

Is Shukacharya said to be a chiranjeevi in the advaita tradition? The time
period between Gaudapadacharya and Shukacharya seems to be quite large.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan