Indra and Vrtra

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 29 20:08:36 CST 2002

>Now some important astrological cycle is of 1200 years. And this
>is taken to be the duration of the kali yuga. This website listed
>kali yuga as 800 AD - 2000 AD (these are not my figures).
>So according to this assumption:
>
>kali: 800 AD - 2000 AD
>dwApAra: 1600 BC - 800 AD
>tretA: 5200 BC - 1600 BC
>satya: 10000 BC - 5200 BC

By this reckoning, kali yuga has ended and we are already two years into the
next satya yuga. The year is 2002 AD now. But no major event has occured
yet, to mark the end of the last yuga cycle and the beginning of the new
one.

And then, we have to take into account the tradition that says that the kali
yuga began with the end of the Mahabharata war. Which means that this big
war was fought in 800 AD. This is a little too late, is it not?

On a note of general caution, we should stop taking one or the other website
(or one or the other book, for that matter) as authoritative sources of
information. The mere fact that there is information out there, readily
available, does not mean that the said information is valid.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar