Indra and Vrtra

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 29 16:30:59 CST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:47:59 -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>If we follow that line of thinking, Manu Vaivasvata was the first king of
>the satyayuga.  If we accept that the Kaliyuga began in 3101 BC, that
>would place him around 3,000,000 BC.  Was there an Ice Age back then?
>Were there even any people back then?
>
>Actually I just thought about it and it's even earlier.  This is the 28th
>Kaliyuga of this manvantara so push the data back to
>approximately 119,000,000 BC
>
>We have to be careful in interpreting shastras literally or we will end up
>with absurdities like those Christians who think the earth is only 6,000
>years old because of the Bible.

Namaste,

I hope this thread has not crossed the acceptable limits regarding the
scope of this list.

I have been wanting to understand the yuga durations for quite some time
however the data available is very confusing.

I read the following at an astrology website:

A fundamental fact regarding duration of the yugas is:
length of kali = 1/4 length of satya
length of dwApAra = 1/2 length of satya
length of tretA = 3/4 length of satya

Now some important astrological cycle is of 1200 years. And this
is taken to be the duration of the kali yuga. This website listed
kali yuga as 800 AD - 2000 AD (these are not my figures).
So according to this assumption:

kali: 800 AD - 2000 AD
dwApAra: 1600 BC - 800 AD
tretA: 5200 BC - 1600 BC
satya: 10000 BC - 5200 BC

This places manu vaivasta, the great flood and end of ice age at around
10000 BC. Now this date for end of ice age may infact be accurate.

Also Shri Krishna's date relying on the dating of material found at
Dwaraka falls in the dwApAra yuga (although it more at the beginning
of dwApAra than at the end).

Again this is not my theory and I am just writing based on what I
have read.

Regards
Shrinivas