Lakshmi Narayana Temple Pratishta

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 3 13:27:25 CDT 2002

>Does the nitya-aaradhanam at Shringeri, puri, dwaraka and badrinath
>take place as per the resident aagams of either of the dieties?
>
>I would think that the Shankaracharyas at these places follow the
>kalpa sutram when it comes to worship. It would be great if you or a
>learned member could post on Agama traditions in the advaita
>sampradayam.

I am not too well-versed in the details of worship at various places, but
it is necessary to clarify what we mean by the word Agama. It depends on
whether these are seen as independent of the Vedas or not.

For example, in the Vaikhanasa tradition, there are Srauta Sutras, Grihya
Sutras etc., and so the Vaikhanasa Agamas are not taken as independent of
the Vedas. The Pancharatra Agamas, on the other hand, are considered to be
independent and are therefore not accepted by the Advaita sampradaya.

Also, the standard Vedic sutras like Bodhayana and Apastambha (for Krishna
Yajurveda) contain instructions for all aspects of personal worship. These
are followed at Sringeri, so that you will find pUjA being done with
recitation of rudram, vishNu sahasranAmam, etc., but you will not find
major temple festivals as at Tirupati or Srirangam or Tanjavur Brihadiswara
temple. So, no separate Agamas, but limited public extensions of the Vedic
sutras, which prescribe rules for private worship.

Vidyasankar