Neti Yoga

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 15 03:37:50 CDT 2002

Namaste Ashisji,

I have already got your point from your earlier mails
but I was keeping quiet as I did not want to get
caught in the crossfire!

I have in mind Totapuri (not Sri Ramakrishna's vedanta
Guru) who used to reside at Puri. People say he was
350 years old when he died. (That makes it fairly
recent for Jaldharji, I suppose!). He also looked
mighty ancient to me from his paintings which are
preserved at his seaside ashrama at Puri.

Totapuri also realised the non-dual absolute and
contributed to the dictum, "All is one". (Of course it
may be argued that he belonged to the Dashnami group
of Shankaracharya but I dare say his realisation was
from his own instincts rather than from books).

He was a North Indian and never much given to reading
books (I doubt he has read any). I don't suppose he
has read any of Sri Shankaracharyas works.

The Truth, as you say, is the Truth and it is not
dependant on anybody. Sages prior to Sri
Shankaracharya have also attained the non-dual state.
They may not have recorded their experiences as
systemetically as Sri Shankaracharya but that does not
sully their realisation any.

Regards
Jagannath.