Neti Yoga

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 14 21:00:53 CDT 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:27:38 -0700, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram
<srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Hari  Om !!
>
>If 'Advaita' implies 'Brahman', then 'Advaita' should
>be a 'Noun' and not an 'adjective' right ?
>
>But, what Sri Jaladhar is saying is that 'Advaita' is
>an 'adjective' and the 'vedanta' word following is
>implied, as in the 'Red' is running which is actually
>supposed to express 'Red horse' is running.

If there is a popularity contest about what the word Advaita means to most
people, then yes, most people would say it means Advaita Vedanta of Shri
Adi Shankaracharya. However, this is not a popularity contest. We have gone
over the meaning of the word advaita. These are the findings:

advaita (a.): non-dual, blismishless etc.
advaitvaadin/advayavaadin [one of the meanings]: follower of vedanta. (note
vaadin and not simply the word Advaita)

advaita from the word advaya:

advaya: non-dual etc...and then the word Buddha.

So now advaita denotes another name for Buddha through the word advaya
(please refer to Vaman Shivram Apte's dictionary).

If the word advaita implies Vedanta, then what does the word dvaita imply?

As for usage:

brahman is nirguna, brahman is ananda, brahman is advaita (non-dual, one
without a second).

How many times did you see me refer to the word Advaita Vedanta of Adi
Shankaracharya while using Advaita.

What I have been saying is that when a saint says exactly the same thing as
above, he is not necessarily referring to Adi Shankara's philosophy and
lineage.

What Jaldhar has been saying is that Advaita means Advaita Vedanta whenever
the word Advaita is used, and that any modern day teacher only uses it
because of him (Adi Shankara) and if the teaching of this saint (teacher)
does not tally with Advaita Vedanta of Adi Shankara (not in conclusion but
even in perception), then the teaching is not Advaita (as in non-dual,
blemishless Brahman/God).

ashish