Nature of Grace

Rolando Santos sivadancer at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 4 16:13:50 CST 2003

Namaste  Swaminarayan-ji,

Thank you for clarifying!

excerpt from the Mundaka Upanishad where I got this
idea (I should have started out with this, but you
know -- tamas!):

Not through discourse, not through the intellect,
Not even through the study of the scriptures
Can the Self be realized. The Self reveals
Himself to the one who longs for the Self.
Those who long for the Self with all their heart
Are chosen by the Self as his own.

Not by the weak, not by the unearnest,
Not by those who practice wrong disciplines
Can the Self be realized. The Self reveals
Himself as the Lord of Love to the one
Who practices right disciplines.

-- from Mundaka Upanishad, Part 3, Section 2, Verses
3- 4, Translated by Eknath Easwaran

I do understand now what you are saying about "right
practices" and getting them from the Guru. But here it
says the Self or Brahman is picking and choosing,
depending on the disciple's longing -- therefore it
seems that Brahman is being affected; Brahman IS
somehow concerned...

Perhaps I am misinterpreting. Again, I ask for help in
clarifying. Thank you for your attention!

AUM
Rolando