Venkatesh or Vyankatesh ? and Why?

Vijay Naik vijay_naik1010 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 6 00:15:59 CST 2003

||AUM namo bhagavate vAsuDevAya||

Namaskar,

Many thanks for the replies.

Please note that this name doesn't appear in "Vishnu
SahastranAma".That's why I have query about it.

I have one referance to the name Venkatesh:

Padma Puran has a full length episode as to how Vishnu
re-emerged as Venkatesh.

Anybody has specific details about the name
'Venkatesh' from Padma-Purana?

Secondly, is it a tadbhav roop of "Vaikunthesh" - the
Lord of Vaikuntha?
Like : SaMskrit 'Vishnu' - Pali 'ViNNHu' - Marathi
'Vitthalu' - 'Vitthal' of Pandharpur...

In South India the Lord is called as "Venkatesh"
whereas in north He is called as "Vyankatesh".

If it would refer to his Curly hair it would have been
'Vaikuntaleshwara' - 'Kuntal' means Hair.

AbhAr!

--VSN