sAdhana-pa.nchakam

Mon Jan 27 22:06:14 CST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, J Kalianandaswami wrote:

Thankyou for sharing these important instructions from our Acharya.  Due
to the ill-fit between English and Sanskrit some misunderstandings are
bound to creep in and I've taken the liberty of mentioning them below.

> vedo nityamadhIyataaM taduditaM karma svanuShThIyataam.h .
>         teneshasya vidhIyataamapachitiH kaamye matistyajyataam.h .
> paapaughaH paridhuuyataaM bhavasukhe dosho.anusandhIyataam.h .
>         aatmechchhaa vyavasIyataaM nijagR^ihaattuurNaM vinirgamyataam.h
> .. 1..
>   1. Always study words of wisdom,

Although Veda does come from a root meaning wisdom, it is the actual Vedas
which are meant here or at the most the Vedas plus the works based on them
such as Puranas, and Gita not generic "words of wisdom"

> with all of your
> capacity act in accordance and perform the discipline
> of these words, and following the systems of worship
> they enumerate, make the worship of the Supreme Lord,
> and don't allow your consciousness to contemplate
> adverse desires.

More literally, "sacrifice yor desirous thoughts"

> Wipe all the dross of sin from your
> mind, search for the faults in the pleasures of the
> world, search your own soul for true knowledge, and
> very quickly try to renounce the attachments to your
> home.
>

> saN^gaH satsu vidhIyataaM bhagavato bhaktirdR^iDhaa.a.adhIyataam.h .
>         shaantyaadiH parichIyataaM dR^iDhataraM karmaashu santyajyataam.h
> .
> sadvidvaanupasR^ipyataaM pratidinaM tatpaadukaa sevyataam.h .
>         brahmaikaaxaramarthyataaM shrutishirovaakyaM samaakarNyataam.h ..
> 2..
>
> 2.Maintain the association of true people,

Sat does mean true but "pure people" would be better in my opinion.

> take refuge
> with devotion in the Supreme Divinity, and with all
> your capacity try to befriend the universe, and very
> quickly renounce the fruits of your labors. Whenever
> possible seek out the company of the true and
> knowledgeable people,and serve the sandals of their
> lotus feet, and ask from them even one letter of the
> knowledge of Brahman and listen to the great words of
> wisdom from the Vedas.
>

> vaakyaarthyashcha vichaaryataaM shrutishirapakshaH samaashrIyataam.h .
>         dustarkaat.h suviramyataaM shrutimatastarko.anusandhIyataam.h .
> brahmaasmIti vibhaavyataamaharahargava.rH parityajyataam.h .
>         dehe.ahaMmatirujhyataaM budhajanairvaadaH parityajyataam.h .. 3..
>
> 3. Always contemplate the great words of wisdom,

The words _and_ their meaning.

> take
> refuge in the great words of wisdom,

Again it is the Vedas not generic words of wisdom which are meant.

> and stay far away
> from the bondages of the soul,

??? more like stay away from faulty logic
> and search for the the
> real inner meanings of the texts of wisdom.

search for the logic based on the words of the Vedas.

> I am one
> with God,

I am Brahman

 Jalways maintain this attitude. Make
> renunciation of the many thoughts of the mind, and
> leave the egotism of your body, and don't debate idle
> philosophies with intellectuals.

budhajana means more like smart-alecks or wiseacres than intellectuals.

> xudvyaadhishcha chikitsyataaM pratidinaM bhikshauShadhaM bhujyataam.h .
>         svaadvannaM na tu yaachyataaM vidhivashaat.h praaptena
> santuShyataam.h .
> shItoShNaadi viShahyataaM na tu vR^ithaa vaakyaM samuchchaaryataam.h .
>         audaasInyamabhIpsyataaM janakR^ipaanaiShThuryamutsR^ijyataam.h ..
> 4 ..
>
> 4. Take the cure for the illness of uncontrolled desire,
> serve your doctor as a beggar would serve a Lord, don't
> seek the associations of pleasure-seekers or self-
> centered individuals. Remain contented with whatever
> you receive in a divine union, that which God has
> consented to give. Remain the same while undergoing all
> the pairs of opposites like hot and cold, pleasure and
> pain, and don't give expression to worthless speech.
> Carry yourself as a great renunciate. Don't look to get
> grace from other men, and don't seek to obtain something
> from men.
>

> ekaante sukhamaasyataaM paratare chetaH samaadhIyataam.h .
>         puurNaatmaa susamIxyataaM jagadidaM tadbaadhitaM dR^ishyataam.h .
> praakkarma pravilaapyataaM chitibalaannaapyuttaraiH shliShyataam.h .
>         praarabdhaM tviha bhujyataamatha parabrahmaatmanaa sthIyataam.h
> .. 5..
> 5. Sit down in a quiet, conducive and comfortable
> environment, and contemplate the Supreme Divinity.

Purnatma

> Look
> into yourself with the fullness of consciousness, and
> see the bondage of the gross world to the soul, and
> reduce your necessity for action in the world. Don't
> allow your thoughts to be bound by karma, with the
> strength of wisdom free you mind from bondage.
> Experience the fruits of your prarabda karma, the
> actions performed in the past, the fruits of which are
> being experienced in the present, and after the past
> karma is complete, with an attitude of one mind, go to
> the realms of Union with the Highest Divinity

parabrahman

 and
> remain there.
>
> translation by Swami Satyanandasaraswati
> of Devi Mandir

I don't envy the task of any translator but this goes to show you how
important it is to know Sanskrit so you can read the original for itself
and avoid unnecessary confusion.