[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 32

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 16:20:19 CDT 2003

Hari Om !!

--- "Kotekal, Srinivas [Non-Employee/0200]"
<srinivas.kotekal at pharmacia.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> >This is precisely the question. Leaving aside what
> the
> >Visishtadvaita or Dvaita or Advaita philosophy
> says,
> >why is it that the modern mystics say that
> 'Advaita'
> >is their 'DIRECT' experience ? Why do not they say,
> >that Dvaita is their DIRECT experience. So, is
> Sruthi
> >contradictory to this DIRECT experience, if we were
> >go by Dvaita or Visishtadvaita expositions ?
>
> How do we validate the so called modern mystics and
> their "Direct
> experience" to be real ? Anybody can claim any **
> direct experience **. Why
> do you believe what they all experiencing is
> **DIRECT REALITY**  ? it can be
> hallucination also ? So, what is the measure ?
>
> In case all those claims are just 'Mystism' and
> definitely not Vedanta !

Such irrational views can be forwarded. We as seekers
of Truth, have a responsibility to acept that the
world is not there just to 'get' us. While there can
be false claims, there ought to be 'true' claims as
well. We use our judgment to accept or reject their
claims. If we do not want to get into a cyclic
evaluation of 'correctness' of our judgment itself, we
have to accept some mystics. Ofcourse, their living
itself is a direct indication of their teachings.

So, accept mystics as 'True' and then comment on my
first question. Is the DIRECT 'Realisation' (I am not
worried about Jivanmukti Vs Videha mukti) of masters
of the three schools of tradition different ???? Even
the acharyas of your own school have attained the
'Realisation', then how is their DIRECT experience
different from the DIRECT experience of an Advaitic
Mystic ??

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna