Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 10 12:46:23 CST 2003

Namaskaar,

Before I start, please note that this topic is purely for academic interest
and I have no intention to hurt the feelings of anyone. Thank you for your
understanding.

I understand that there are many puranas, some which praise Vishnu, some
Shiva, some Shakthi etc. But puranas are smriti and not sruti. From my
understanding it is sruti and not smriti which is more authoritative. For
that matter there are innumerable quotes in the puranas which praise Vishnu
as supreme. Eg. Vishnu Purana etc.(Sri Adi Shankara uses Vishnu Purana.) But
I refrained from quoting puranas as they are only smriti.

I want to know what the srutis say. The Rig Veda which is definitely a sruti
seems to say that Rudra derives his strength from Vishnu.(RV 7.40.5) And in
the Narayana and the Purusha suktas, it is Narayana/Purusha(Vishnu) who is
praised as the supreme. Here I foresee an objection ---

Objection - Vedas praise Rudra also as supreme.

Tentative answer1.(not my own) - When Rudra is praised as supreme it is
actually the Narayana inside the rudra who is praised.

Tentative answer2.(not my own)- Narayana is a proper noun, while siva,
rudra, shambhu etc. are common nouns. So the words siva etc. could be used
for narayana also.

Objection - When the sruti praises Narayana it could actually be referring
to rudra(just as what was said for sruti praising rudra)

Tentative Answer-That is not correct, for the sruti calls narayana as the
supreme self and the para brahma and more importantly, it would then be a
contradiction to call Rudra as deriving his strength from Vishnu.

I appreciate sharing of ideas on this subject.

PS: Please use sruti and not smriti to justify your answers. Thank you.

Best Regards
Kalyan