[Advaita-l] Importance of Peethams

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Apr 9 00:42:16 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, U.K Anumula wrote:

> I would like the erudite members of this forum to throw some light on the
> aims and functions of the various peethams, including those set up by Adi
> Sankara.  If they were set up as overseers of ritualistic religion, that
> would perhaps be against the spirit of rational debate and discussion and
> self-realisation which Adi Sankara expounded and which are at the root of
> advaita philosophy.

Why do you assume "rational debate and discussion" or "self-realization"
are opposed to "ritualistic religion"?  What do those terms mean anyway?

>   Secondly, advaita does not accept pontifical
> institutions, like the papacy for Catholic Christians.

What led you to this conclusion?

>  If, on the other
> hand, they are meant to guide the laity in better understanding of advaitic
> concepts, are they serving that purpose?

If there is no pontiff, what is "laity"?

> I wish to be excused for raising this question.  Are the peethams serving
> any purpose?

Obviously they are as nothing continues to exist without a purpose.  But I
take it this purpose doesn't seem clear to you?

It's not that your questions are not worthy of answering but there seem to
be a lot of underlying assumptions there.  Maybe they should be explored
first.