[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 4

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 6 15:47:07 CST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Aravind Mohanram wrote:

> And, why even
> give speculative answers to questions like what does Hare Krishna mean?

The meanings of Hari, Krshna, and Rama are only speculative to
illiterates.

> my desire is only to learn the philosophy of advaita through a proper
> forum, but whenever
>  there is speculation by members on non-advaitin teachings, expect some
>  fireworks, if you desire to keep the forum open to everyone.

We keep the forum open because non-believers can also sometimes contribute
to our understanding of Advaita Vedanta.  To some extent this
understanding involves knowing about the attitudes of other systems
Advaita Vedanta has come in contact with and representatives of those
systems can help us learn but we will judge their claims by our own
standards.  Their Fireworks can be shot somewhere else.

As this thread has no further relevance to the study of Advaita Vedanta,
I'm putting my moderator hat on and declaring it over.  If you (or anyone
else) wishes to continue discussion in private email with me you may do
so, but I expect to see no further posts on this topic on the list.