[Advaita-l] Question on service and our ego

Navin Rajaram navinr at moschip.com
Thu Nov 11 08:55:39 CST 2004

This is a subject I would like to touch upon briefly and find out what
everyone thinks.

The word "charity","philanthropy" or "help","service" are used among
people today. I would like to know what the exact nature behind help or
service offered is. The reason or motivation behind service or charity
to humanity is with the notion that a person needs help to get him/her
out of their misery . However, charity also puts the giver in a position
where he could use it as an ego booster. An act that makes him feel
better about himself. The receiver may or may not feel obliged (ideally
he should not feel obliged) about this help given.
So the question is whether charity/service is a misued term?

Advaita  tells us that our real nature Atman is no different from the
true nature of reality - Brahman. However, when we offer help or even
provide something to someone in the name of service, should our thoughts
be such that we are helping ourselves. In the process of providing
service, we are worshipping that real nature Brahman and helping
ourselves in realizing that this Atman in me and the Atman in any other
person is no different than the reality - Brahman?

Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Vivekananda say "help" is a wrong term. In fact
it is blasphemy to use the word "help". The universe is a field where
God plays and the sum total of good and evil in this world will not
change - no matter what we do. This sum is a constant because for every
high in this world, a low will occur somewhere else. Hence, help should
be replaced with worship and offering to God/Brahman.

Do put forward your thoughts on this.

Navin