[Advaita-l] thesis on shaivism

ismath ramzy shazi2000srpk at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 01:40:54 CDT 2004

Dear Sir

I am a Sri Lankan student of the department of Comparative Religions,
in the International Islamic University, Islamabad, Pakistan. I have
completed the required course work of the Masters' programme in the above
mentioned department and currently am writing a thesis on "Shaivism:
History, dogmas, norms, conducts and sects: A historical and
  comparative study."

I am interested in writing on Shaivism for the following reason:

Shaivism is an unknown entity in the Arab world. The little that is
known to Arabs is from translation of general books on Hinduism most of
which are written from the westernn perspective of religion. I felt
that I should introduce Shaivism in a clear and lucid manner for the
Arabic readership.

Unfortunately I found very few books and documents on Shaivism
written by Shaivists in our library. But I am quite keen to introduce
Shaivism as Shaivist originally perceive it and believe in it rather than
reproducing the western view of things or even   heir methodology. My
supervisor and the faculty have advised me to visit Shaivist sights and
libraries in India and to spend some time with Tapas and learn from their
experiences.

Having visited your site, I was wondering if it would be possible for
you to furnish me with some sources on Shaivism or guide me to a person
or institute which could guide me further. I also wanted to enquire
whether there is any provision in your university to accommodate
researchers if so how could we go about doing it.

I would greatly appreciate a considerate response from your side.

Thank you,

Ismath Ramzy

: