[Advaita-l] Yoga - aparOkshAnubhUti - Vedanta Sara

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 12:59:08 CST 2005

hariH Om !!

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

>  On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:
>
> > hariH Om !!
> >
> > I have not personally read the book
> aparOkshAnubhUti.
> > But based on browsing a few slokas and also from
> what
> > I heard from secondary sources, it deals with Yoga
> as
> > a 'practical' method to  Self-Realisation.
> >
> > Would the members comment on the position of
> > aparOkshAnubhUti in the tradition and also in the
> > scholarly circles. How the contents of this book
> are
> > explained in the context of Sankara's main
> > preseciption for Self-Realization  ?
> >

> Aparokshanubhuti is traditionally regarded as a
> composition of
> Shankaracharya.  There is a commentary Dipika by
> Swami Vidyaranya and
> other illustrious Advaitin acharyas have also
> commented on it or quoted
> from it.  However some modern historians question
> the genuineness of this
> work in part precisely because it is replete with
> yogic references.

there is a view among scholars that Shankara is the
author only of the
first
101 slokas, while the rest of the slokas (102-144)
where authored by
someone
else at a later stage. As far as I understand, this
view was shared
also by
Satchidanandendra Swamiji."

Jaldhar:  would you please comment if Dipika has
commentary on slokas 102 to 144, and similaly did the
other traditional teachers/quthors quote from slokas
102 to 144 ?

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna