[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:19:29 CST 2005

>The question that really has not been addressed is -- what about
>women and non-Indians? I have personally heard both chant the
>Vedas, having been taught by those who have worked with the
>Chinmaya mission. And they did not undergo the upanayana either.

Personally, I would say upanayana is a prerequisite for learning to chant
the veda, because that would be a sign of respecting the tradition. However,
also personally, for people who show interest and sincerity, I would not
restrict upanayana according to birth. I realize there will always be
differences of opinion on this matter, depending on one's conviction. Gender
is a little more complicated in this regard, primarily because of issues of
ritual purity at the physical level.

>The fact is that the lineage of Chinmaya Mission (CM) is rooted
>in the Sringeri Math.

Well yes, but they operate independently of Sringeri Matha, do they not?
Like so many other institutions, including other famous Mathas ... Although
the initiatory lineage can be traced back, their activities and leadership
do not reflect upon what a traditional authority would accept.

Vidyasankar