[Advaita-l] advaita siddhi 19 - MadhusUdana's reply

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon May 16 04:14:54 CDT 2005

praNAms Sri Anand Hubli prabhuji
Hare Krishna

prabhuji you wrote :

In the case of a things such as AkAsha,or anything in the world of duality,
being destroyed by Brahman knowledge,there is total destruction of these
things in their causal and own forms as well. It cannot be claimed that the
unreality of these things is not established and that there is an error of
proving something other than what
was intended to be proved.

bhaskar :

prabhuji, kindly pardon my ignorance...I am not able to get the proper
contextual meaning of this *total destruction* of object's causal & own
forms after the brahma jnAna (brahmaGYAnanAshyatve .api)  I humbly here
submit that the word *nAsha* (destruction) means bhAdita (sublation or
avagati jnAna)...Because, according to shankara, even after the dawn of
ultimate knowledge, jnAni's vyavahAra continues but with bhAdita jnAna.  In
ArambhaNAdhikaraNa sUtra bhAshya  shankara says bhAdhitE cha ShArIrAtmatvE
tadAshrayaH samasthaH svAbhAvikO vyavahArO bhAditO bhavati... So, shankara
here tells us that for a jnAni this world does not cease to exist & he
continues to cognize it as normal human beings do but with the sublated
knowledge of what is real & what is unreal or what is kalipita in brahman.
This is what shankara elsewhere confirms by saying * AtmAnAtmavivEkinAmap
paNditAnAM ajAvipAlAnAmiva Avivaktau shabdapratyayaU bhavatu*.

While on the subject, I remember that Sri Vidhyashankara Sundaresan
prabhuji has written in Post shankara Acharya's history (in Advaita Vedanta
web page) that sometimes Sri Madhusudana Saraswati takes deviation from
shankara in siddhAnta pratipAdana.  I need a clarification either from your
goodself or Sri vidyAshankara prabhuji with regard to this observation.

Humble praNAms onceagain,
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar