[Advaita-l] Is God "unscientific"?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Sep 23 12:58:23 CDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, S Jayanarayanan wrote:

> I'm not sure of the exact context of the question (what does
> "translate to a propositional form" mean?)

I assumed he meant li~Ng (which I since found out is called imperative
in English.)

> or the reply, but the
> mImAmsA view is that Mantras have intrinsic meaning.

Oh I agree but as Anand points out in the message you referenced, the
"meaning" is connected to an action.  There is no relevant meaning outside
of an action.  To restate what I was trying to say, if you know the
linguistic, grammatical, form of a mantra, it is still won't help you
understand Dharma unless you know the action it refers to.

> But the fact remains that there exist mantras that do not seem
> to have any meaning.

However the Mimamsaka would emphasize: There do not exist any mantras that
do not have an associated action.